Group buy of .30-40 brass by the forum members

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Baltimoreed

Group buy of .30-40 brass by the forum members

Post by Baltimoreed »

Given the fact that this forum is made up totally of members who collect Krag rifles that all shoot .30-40 has there ever been any discussion about a group buy of brass by forum members? I don't know how many members there are but with new brass going for over $2.00 each there has to be a way to get brass at a decent price. Just something I was wondering about.

psteinmayer

Re: Group buy of .30-40 brass by the forum members

Post by psteinmayer »

Not a bad question to ask!

Midway has reported that Remington is no longer going to produce 30-40 brass for sale and have removed it from the site now (not sure about the ammo since there is still a market for it). Haven't seen Winchester ammo or brass in a very long time now.

It might behoove us to collectively start requesting that Privi start producing 30-40 brass. They already produce .303 British, which ain't too far off from 30-40!

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

There are smaller capacity makers to consider. Quality Cartridge (in Maryland) has produced some odd stuff in the past. I have 3 boxes of 8.15x46R. Their website says they will make several odd calibers when they get enough backorders.

Starline have said they won't produce bottleneck cases (too many additional steps in production) but they are supposed to have some sort of .405 Winchester basic case in the works. The demand is for .40-70 Sharps Straight, which was made from .30-40 Krag cases. We would need to buy forming dies.

Captech International (used to be Jamison) is also doing something with the .405 Basic case.

I think Quality Cartridge is our best bet.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Agreed

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I sent Quality Cartridge an email. Let's see what they say...

FredC

Post by FredC »

SAAMI chamber and case specs for reference.Image

BM1455

Post by BM1455 »

Not a bad question to ask!

Midway has reported that Remington is no longer going to produce 30-40 brass for sale and have removed it from the site now (not sure about the ammo since there is still a market for it). Haven't seen Winchester ammo or brass in a very long time now.

It might behoove us to collectively start requesting that Privi start producing 30-40 brass. They already produce .303 British, which ain't too far off from 30-40!

I sent them an email when it was suggested in another thread a few weeks ago. Not 100% sure I sent it to the right department. Perhaps if we can get the right email for this we could post it here?
I would be happy to see them make ammo too. If they do it, the question will be, what type/ weight.

Baltimoreed

Post by Baltimoreed »

I emailed Winchester yesterday and got a response. It said that they are planning a run later this year and that I should contact my lgs. I sent them another email to say that no online sellers even list .30 krag as it's been out of production for so long, could l preorder from them? Waiting for their reply.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Wouldn't take much in the way of form dies to make 30-40 from a .405 basic, I've formed a 6mm/30-40 using die bodies you can get from Lee as parts a whole lot cheaper than a form die set. I think I went down to 35, 8mm, then 30, then 7mm, then 6.5 then 6mm. From 30 to 6mm it was standard dies, .308, 7-08, 260, then .243, but then we're not talking about making 6mm are we? From .405 to 35 I think I used a 35 Rem, then a 8mm Lebel, not sure about that, may have been something else, ditto the 35, but I had it figured out at one time without a whole lot of expense. I'm not the type of fellow keeps my dies organized good enough to go back in the reloading room and figure it out again at the moment, I have a match to shoot tmrw and I'm busy loading.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

For what it's worth, here's the email I sent, and the address I sent it to:

abn82d@hotmail.com = Quality Cartridge Company

Howdy!

I represent a large number of shooters and collectors who own U.S Krag rifles and carbines. Recently, Remington has discontinued production of 30-40 Krag brass and ammo, which leaves a very large void in the market. I, as do most people with Krags reload, but most of my brass is getting very long in the tooth (some of it with more than 20 reloads, and starting to show cracks in the necks). Would there be a possibility of your company producing 30-40 Krag (formerly .30 USA) to fill this void in the market? I'm sure you would have plenty of customers! What would be the minimum quantity you would need to produce this (I would be good for a couple hundred).

Thanks very much for your time.
Best regards,
Paul Steinmayer