Group buy of .30-40 brass by the forum members

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Culpeper

Re: Group buy of .30-40 brass by the forum members

Post by Culpeper »

I am of that mindset too when it comes to keeping the brass that I shoot. I am also buying loaded ammo where and when ever I find it even though I have a hundred boxes of the stuff from ten years ago when I was rolling in dough. I would have to dig through a ton of other stuff to get at it. It is just easier to buy from the lgs.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Yeah... me too. I have three boxes of Remington in storage that I may pull out and shoot through the sporter for the brass.

If Remington is truly still making it and Midway just doesn't want to handle it anymore... or if Remington told the suppliers (Midway, Cheaper than Dirt, Grafs... etc.) that they weren't producing brass for sale anymore, then that would make sense that they have all dropped it from their inventories. I hope that Remington IS still making it though because there really is still a demand for it. Let's face it... there's a metric "Butt Ton" of Krags out there that need to be fed!!! Perhaps Remington will sell it on their website.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

This might be what the doctor ordered. Might help. Might not but have a look.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?307060-30-40-Krag-Affectionados-Please-Step-Inside
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Fortunately, Cabelas in Dundee (where we met for coffee Culp) has had Remington 30-40 Krag on their shelves every time I've been there. Unfortunately, it's priced at $36.00 a box! Still, I may go buy a few more boxes next time I visit there.

porthos

Post by porthos »

there is a company called jamison brass and ammunition. if you would go on there website you will see the large number of cases that they manufacture. don't laugh too hard when you see that many of them can be eaisly formed from a parent brass. they also produce many obsolete straight wall cases that there can't be the demand that there is for 30-40. i e-mailed them a couple months ago stating pretty much what i'm writing now. as you would suspect; no reply. they are"missing the boat"
on another note in a search for brass. going on the shooting websites has pretty much dried up the supply. use alternative site searches. i live in pa. there is a site called pennswoodsclassified.net. i ran a ad it the reloading and ammunition section and got 2 hits that resulted in 45 pieces 18 factory loaded. another site; this one for trapshooters (which i am) also yeilded 2 hits. one for 250 pieces. the other for 1loaded factory rem. box and the mate that was a once fired box. what i'm suggesting is try other avenues. how about an ad in the local newspaper, the bulliten board at the gunclub ( most shooters don't know how scarce this stuff is

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Welcome to the KCA, Porthos.

A word of warning. If you decide to go through the small run of brass job with Jamison GET A Sourth Dakota ATTORNEY to handle the transaction. Every little thing in writing AND a non-performance penalty clause when they do not come through on their end.

Dirty rotten bunch of #%#^^&%*#%^#$ flub-a-dubs.

DWC

Post by DWC »

I inherited by grandfather's 30-40 when my father past a couple years ago. The rifle was used by my mother's father and was probably last fired around 1965. I am interested in getting this rifle back into firing condition. However, as several postings have noted, the ammunition and reloadable brass is getting expensive and hard to find. Therefore, the idea of a "group buy" appeals to me.

I noticed that the last posting to this thread was from mid-May 2016 and it is now the end of July.

So my questions are.....

Has anyone been able to confirm that Remington will be making the "rumored seasonal run" of .30-40 Krag brass?

And if Remington is planning a production run, then is an effort underway to prepare a group order from the KCA members?

If a group order is being prepared, then I would interested in getting more details. Since I don't already have a significant inventory of brass casings or loaded ammunition, I could be interested in 500 (or more) new brass reload casings, if the price is not too excessively high.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

First, Welcome to the Forum, DWC.

Second, we are all in the same boat which is going on rumor and rumors of rumors. The only thing I can sugguest is you hunt down their phone number and an give them a call. Or if you personally know someone at the NRA who knows someone at Remington (and Winchester) who could intercede for you and us about a run of krag food would go a long way in lowering everybody's blood pressure.

I sent Remington an email from their contact page last week and wouldn't ya' know I have not heard back from them.

Tag. Your turn.

Best regards,

8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

My son and I have sent emails to Hornady, urging them to produce 30-40 cases and ammo. They have sent replies mildly hinting that the request will be considered.

Hornady produces several lower volume cartridges and I told them that they would likely have this product/market to themselves.

Why don't several of you members also contact Hornady and make this request.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

That is a great idea. If possible, please post the contact information that you used, as well as (if you have one) a contact name at Hornady. I'll email them also!