Got lucky today on Brass

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
butlersrangers

Got lucky today on Brass

Post by butlersrangers »

I went to a small Gun Show today, looking for some extra reloading components for .30-40 Krag.

Out of caution, I never buy other people's 'used Brass'. But, a gentleman had four 50 round bags of .30-40 cartridge cases, 'hidden' in plain view on a very cluttered table. I took a look at one of the bags.

The bag I examined had a variety of makes, some old and some not too old. They didn't look abused and for $20, I got all four bags (totaling 200 cartridge cases).

Sorting them, when I got home, I was surprised to find 86 new/never primed Remington cases, mixed in with the old! There was only one cracked-neck, (a W.R.A. .30 Army), in the whole stash.

I'll be doing some annealing this week!

I had been intending to get some .303 British Brass, to 'reform' and back-up, the healthy amount of .30-40 Krag Brass I have. This new acquisition makes that route unnecessary.

A major manufacturer providing new .30-40 Brass 'On Demand' would be preferred, but, old stock is out there. Sometimes, when you least expect it.ImageImage

madsenshooter

Re: Got lucky today on Brass

Post by madsenshooter »

Before loading them, get an idea on the weight of the various cases. I got a couple hundred REM-UMC, 30 USA once that appeared to be from two lots, weight varied by 30gr from lightest to heaviest. They were once fired, and I could tell the heavier ones developed more pressure. Looked like they'd developed their load in the lighter ones and loaded the heavier ones the same. That caused quite a bit of expansion in the heavies.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Just back from another LGS. Scored a bag of new & unfired empties. 40 for a paltry $27. These are reserved for cast bullets in the Uberti sorta High Wall.

Stretch32

Post by Stretch32 »

It's out there but not easily found.

I picked up 200 pieces at .55 cents apiece a few months ago from a guy who had a small stash.

I also found 40 or so once fired from a local store for $7.50 a few weeks ago as well.

Stretch