Full Length Sizing vs. Neck Sizing

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Stretch32

Full Length Sizing vs. Neck Sizing

Post by Stretch32 »

I just picked up my first Krag a few weeks ago and, courtesy of my wife, got a Lee single stage press kit and started loading for it. I sourced a few hundred pieces of brass from friends and a local reloader who had some extra to sell. I also found a couple boxes of Winchester and Remington 30-40 Krag locally and bought those as well.

At this point I've got about 350 pieces of brass total and now need to make it last as long as possible given the extreme difficulty in buying or finding more at this point in time.

With that, being new to reloading I'm aware that neck sizing a fire formed piece of brass should give you more reloads before failure than full length sizing each time. My question is, how much more use can you expect to get with just neck sizing 30-40 Krag brass? Right now I only have a FL sizing die so I'm curious if it it's worth it to buy a Krag neck sizing die or not. If it is, which die should I be looking for? I've seen several different versions ranging from $25 (Lee .30 cal universal neck sizing die) to as much as $100 (RCBS 30-40 neck sizing die).

Sorry for the dumb questions but any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

Stretch

RichWIS

Re: Full Length Sizing vs. Neck Sizing

Post by RichWIS »

The advantage to neck sizing is less working of the brass along the side walls. Every time you full length size you set the shoulder back and when fired the case stretches to set the shoulder forward to match your chamber. This work hardens the brass just above the head and will eventually result in a partial or complete head separation. If your rifle is tightly chambered this may not be an issue, but many Krags have what at best can be called loose chambers. Google case annealing and every ten reloads or so anneal the case necks. I just shoot cast bullets at very moderate velocities (1400-1500 fps) and have about 25 reloadings on the lot of brass I am using. Eventually the necks do split, but nothing lasts forever. If using a full length sizer adjust it down so it just sizes the neck, if tight chambering then adjust it down a little at a time til the round will chamber and stop there.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

If you 'back off' a Full Length Sizing Die one turn in your press, it will size the case neck only and not the case body. There is then no need to buy another Die.

My experience has found Krag chambers to have been held to very close tolerances.

Try partially re-sizing some of your cases by backing off the Die a turn and see if the re-formed cases will chamber in your Krag.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Howdy Buddy.

As Butlersrangers said... back your die off one turn and you'll be fine. I've see the pictures you sent me, and I think you did a great job loading! When you get a second Krag (cause we all know you will)... you'll want to separate the brass to keep the fire-form with the chamber it fire-forms in.

Stretch32

Post by Stretch32 »

I'll give backing my FL sizing die off a try. I've got about 60 rounds I need to reload again as of this morning.

I'm very impressed with the accuracy of the rifle. It's a much better shooter than I'm capable of using at this point. I was able to hit an 8" steel plate pretty consistently at 200 yards from a kneel.

I'm shooting 220 grain RN FMJ projectiles that look like the original (bought about 1800 of these sometime back) but was given about 15 rounds of 220 grain gas checked RN cast lead cartridges to shoot. The cast lead rounds were surprisingly accurate and I'm thinking these may be a better bet if I started shooting for accuracy.

Does anybody here still load up 220 gr RN FMJ or are most guys now shooting cast lead?

Stretch

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

For my vintage matches, I load the Hornady 220 gr RN, which is jacketed with a soft lead tip. I also occasionally load Sierra 220 gr RN which has a slightly different ogive, and aren't as accurate in my Krag as the Hornady. The Hornady bullets have the same dimensions and ogive as the original cupro-nickel 220 gr RN bullets in the original ammo. Hornady used to have a FMJ 220 gr RN bullet, and I used these until I couldn't get them anymore. They were vastly more accurate in my Krag than the current bullets, but the Hornady Interlock bullets are designed for hunting, not match shooting.

There are some who use cast in their Krags for CMP matches... but I think most are using jacketed bullets. I shoot cast out of my cutoff sporter in benchrest cast bullet matches, although I haven't been to a cast match in over a year now.

Stretch32

Post by Stretch32 »

Paul,

I believe that what I have are the old Hornady 220 gr RN FMJ projectiles (non-soft point). I picked them up from a guy who was selling them, advertised as original surplus (close enough for me),awhile back figuring one day I'd need them for the Krag I then didn't own. I really like shooting surplus ammo in my old military rifles so I figured loading to original 30-40 Krag specs was the best I'd get considering original surplus Krag ammo is either non-existent or too pricey due to being collectible (plus it's pretty old at this point).

As an update, I loaded up 10 rounds today with neck sizing only and they seem like they'll work perfectly. I did as suggested and turned the FL sizing die out a full turn and the necks of the case for about half their lengths were sized. I had no issues getting bullets to seat and they chamber smoothly with no binding in my rifle. I'll give them a whirl next weekend when I can go shooting again.

Thanks again for all the help.

Stretch

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

There is a alternative market for those FMJ 220s. Don't shoot them up. They sell for about a buck apiece, but be very careful.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

As Paul discovered when I traded him some of those Hornady FMJ 220s, they have a copper clad steel jacket. Back in the day they were made, Hornady considered them a dangerous game bullet. Joyce was going to Africa a lot back then. See if a magnet will get hold of them. I thought Paul would save them for Michigan moose, or the dogman.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Naw... Paul loaded them up and shot them in a couple different matches, and discovered that they performed beautifully in his 1898! Paul still has 15 rounds of them left.

FWIW, Woodleigh offers a 220gr RN FMJ bullet... but beware - they run around $90 for a box of 50 bullets!