Full Length Sizing vs. Neck Sizing

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
reincarnated

Re: Full Length Sizing vs. Neck Sizing

Post by reincarnated »

Back in the late 1980s, the Hornady FMJ bullets were better than the Woodleighs for both penetration & accuracy. If the alternative users read this, the street value should increase. $2.50 each?

Stretch32

Post by Stretch32 »

Well crap, maybe I should sell a few to these alternative users and get a few buck back :-)

I paid about $.28 apiece for them shipped so I guess I did alright from a business perspective. I also managed to get a little over 1800 of them so I've got a nice stash that should last for a little while anyway at the rate I'll probably shoot them. At this point I've only shot about 60 or so just plinking since I'm not a hunter at all.

If I could just find a smokin' deal on pulled 150 grain M2 ball projectiles I'd be set for all my reloading needs. Garands are hungry........

Stretch

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

FWIW (not that this is a Garand forum...) but I used to shoot the Hornady 150 gr FMJBT bullets in my Garand... and they are available - and reasonably priced. However, I find in match shooting that the Nosler 168 gr HPBT Match (Custom Competition) bullets perform night and day better! They are readily available, and I pay around $75 bucks for a box of 250.

Stretch32

Post by Stretch32 »

Paul,

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it.

Sorry for the slight off-topic but I'm only looking for pulled M2 ball since I want to load as close to original spec as possible much like my Krag.

I have an interest in old military rifles in large part due to the history. Because of this, I'd like to load rounds to original USGI spec whenever possible to shoot them as originally intended.

With that, if I was going to shoot in a completion I'd definitely like to load up the most accurate cartridge possible within the rules. At this point though I'm just plinking hence the original loads I'm striving for.

Stretch

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Have you considered ordering surplus HXP M2 Ball from the CMP? There's tons of it out there, and at around $120 for an ammo can of 200 rounds, the price is pretty great! It's Greek made, non-corrosive, easily reloaded, and very accurate in the Garands too! Also, if you ever venture out to Camp Perry for Nationals Week... there's a vender who sells pulled mil-surp bullets by the pound. This guy usually has M2, AP, and even tracer bullets for the 5.56mm, 7.62x51mm, .30-06, and more!

Stretch32

Post by Stretch32 »

Paul,

Oh yeah I'm very familiar with CMP rifle and ammo sales (my Garand is a CMP buy).

I've already bought my allotment of HXP from CMP for the year. I bought 10 spam cans this year and about 5 last year. I've also bought 1,000 or so loose rounds of both HXP and surplus LC when a local gun shop was unloading it pretty cheap. At this point CMP no longer carries spam cans (which were the best deal) and at the rate ammo is selling there I doubt there will be much of any surplus 30-06 left next year when my allotment resets.

I've also saved ALL my brass so if I can find cheap components (ie: pulled M2 ball projectiles) I can load my own, to USGI spec, cheaper than I'll be able to buy anything that's readily available at this time.

Stretch