ammo/chamber/bolt/rifle question

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Baltimoreed

ammo/chamber/bolt/rifle question

Post by Baltimoreed »

I have 2 Krags, a NRA? carbine and a PC and only about 130 rds of used brass. To keep from overworking my brass I have split the brass between them and after an initial fl sizing am necksizing with a.308 sizer die. I have found that my PC loads will not chamber in the nra but the nra ammo will go into the PC? However, if I swap out the bolts I can swap out the ammo. What's going on here? I want to pick up a box of new ammo to fire a few rds in each gun and then could measure the difference.

Parashooter

Re: ammo/chamber/bolt/rifle question

Post by Parashooter »

The simple answer is that one bolt/receiver/chamber is longer/shorter than the other. This is due to normal manufacturing tolerances. As long as you segregate cases, neck size, and stop swapping parts, the minor difference should be inconsequential.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Parashooter's advise is on target. I have segregated ammo for my 3140 and some for a second rifle I am bringing on line. I don't want to prematurely wear out the brass.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I agree also. I have brass (around 150) that I only use with my sporter and cast loads. All of my remaining brass is neck size only and used exclusively in my match 1898 (i.e. the rifle I use for all of my vintage matches).

Baltimoreed

Post by Baltimoreed »

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if I had a problem with one or both of my Krags or my reloading technique. I didn't even think about the normal discrepancies in manufacturing 100 years ago. The first time that I have owned 2 centerfire bottleneck cartridge rifles in the same rifle caliber at the same time. You don't have this problem with .45-70s or .45 lc.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Baltimoreed':

You can easily have different rifles in .45-70 and different revolvers in .45 Colt that will not allow fired cartridge cases to interchange without reforming the brass. Chambers for straight-walled are subject to manufacturing tolerances, also.