Trouble on First Outing

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Annapolis

Trouble on First Outing

Post by Annapolis »

Folks: This is a follow up, although a melancholy one, to the string of posts answering my questions about safe loads for my Krag. So, I'm back seeking advice.

I went to the range today with the Remington 180 grain ammunition. I loaded a single round. Very smooth, very easy. The target was at 100 yards. You all were right. It was a safe round; less recoil than imagined. And a perfect bull's eye on the target. The ejector was strong, flinging the case out with gusto.

Then I attempted to load the second round in the same way. It would not seat. The bold wouldn't go far enough forward to permit the bold handle to turn down. Visually, it appeared that the ejector was not catching over the rim of the case. But I cannot say that's correct or the cause of the difficulty.

I thought perhaps there may be some obstruction, so I removed the bolt, cleaned and oiled the bore and reassembled everything. No good, I tried 10 different cartridges. Not one would seat. So, next I took the fired case and tried to chamber it. No go. Then, I attempted another (previously untried) cartridge. Mysteriously, it seated easily. So, I extracted it without shooting. But, maddeningly, when I went to load it again, it wouldn't seat. And after than, none of the remaining Remington cartridges would seat.

The bolt is in good condition. The extractor appears in good shape too, some wear, but nothing much to my eyes.

Can anyone offer an explanation? Better yet, a solution?

As a long shot, if it would help solve the puzzle, the Krag is a Model 92, (Serial No. 17,158) manufactured as best I can tell circa July '95. There is the JSA 1896 Inspector's mark. And the refurbishment shows the type 3B "square" modification to the cleaning rod channel. 1894 is stamped on the left top of the receiver body.

It would be nice if the problem requires only a common adjustment to bolt, but I fear it's not that simple.

Thanks. Annapolis

Culpeper

Re: Trouble on First Outing

Post by Culpeper »

Shoot me an email or PM with your physical location. What range were you shooting at today? When can we get together. Not Saturday. There is a match over at Associated at 0900.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Annapolis' - It sounds like something is preventing the extractor claw from 'snapping over' the rim of the cartridge.

Check the 'notch' that is cut into breech end of the barrel for any debris or crud that may limit the upward movement of the tip of the extractor. Clean the 'notch area' thoroughly with a wooden tooth-pick.

Try snapping a cartridge into place on the bolt-face and see if the bolt will chamber and close on it. - OR - Take your bolt apart and see if the 'bare bolt' will close on the cartridges. ImageImage

FredC

Post by FredC »

Debris and gunk in the extractor area of the receiver and barrel was my first thought, also. The photo BR attached shows the angle on the front of the extractor very clearly, this guides the extractor so it can snap over the rim of the case. If the angle has a chip or other damage on the front its correctly riding over the rim could be hindered. The rim might show some damage if there is damage to the front of the extractor.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Annapolis, did you get your problem corrected?

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Annapolis

Post by Annapolis »

Culpeper/Butlersr's/Fred : I appreciate your help. And the photos were very educational. I had an opportunity this morning to examine the bolt and extractor.

Butler, as you suggest, I cleaned notch. There was some, but not a lot of fossilized grease in it. At the same time I cleaned the entire bolt assembly and receiver in the same way.

And yet, while maybe every third or fourth round will seat, which is more than before, some do so easily, others require a real push on the bolt. That is something I don't want to do regularly.

Your diagnosis, I think, is correct. The extractor claw is not regularly surmounting the rim and snapping in place. Having snapped a cartridge into the bolt face, all goes well. Fred, the angle of the extractor is not razor-sharp. It does have a few nicks. I have not, as yet used the bare bolt. But, will do so this evening.

Here is an amateurish question: is it possible that the bolt is not going forward far enough to push the extractor claw over the rim?

Culpeper, I'm in Annapolis. I use an Isaac Walton Assn. range near Damascus, Md (not too far from Frederick -- about an hour from my house). I'd VERY much value getting together. I certainly am ready to travel down your way (Culpeper, right?), since I'm just an apprentice in all this. I'd like to get together sooner than later, but am leaving Monday for a 2-week vacation in Florida (Sanibel Island). I would cause a divorce if I went to a range before that. Would you be able to meet in early June?

I must say that the Krag is perhaps the nicest rifle I have in its lines, ergonomic feel, and history. And it shot so easily (1 round only, I confess). So I'm both discouraged and eager to get it working smoothly.

thanks to everyone.

Terry Roach (Annapolis)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Annapolis' - Are the 'hang-ups' on cartridges fed singly or are the cartridges being fed through the magazine?

It would be helpful if you could post a picture of your bolt-face and extractor 'claw'.

I suspect that if your bolt cycles smoothly when no cartridges are involved, the problem is probably caused by the roughness and burrs on the front of the extractor claw. It may be 'digging in' and snagging on the base of the rimmed cases.

Photos for your enjoyment: Annapolis Naval Academy and Krags - 1913.ImageImage

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Sure thing Annapolis. Give me a shout when you get back. However don't look down on divorce. You get to come and go as you please. Drink likker until it comes out your gills and your sole job would be the "bad" example for the Sunday morning preacher to point at about the wages of the demon rum or scotch as it were. No yammering in your ears. Ahhhhhh blissful solitude.

Just kidding, stay married as long as you can draw a breath and don't go to the gun range.

Post a couple of pictures before you go, if you can, so the guys can mull over them while you are funnin' and sunnin'

Bon Voyage

Annapolis

Post by Annapolis »

Butlers/Culpeper -- super pictures. I'm going to share them around if you do not mind. The drill area and skyline is still recognizable.

I will try to send you a picture. Because I have not mastered posting to the KRC's forum (or any other, mind you), it would be easier for me to send a picture directly to you. If that's okey I'll need an email address. Mine is troach@umd.edu.

It is almost at random between the magazine load and single load when the cartridge seats and doesn't, although it seems single loading works a little bit better -- but just maybe because I can unconsciously put more force that way.

If the problem is a rough extractor, can this be remedied -- for example by filing(?) or the availability of a replacement?

Terry

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I would not sweat it until you get back from vacation. It'll be waiting for you when you are ready.