Recommendation on Krag Dissassembly Guide?

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
bote

Recommendation on Krag Dissassembly Guide?

Post by bote »

The bolt on my 1894 is "locked" in the full retracted position. I have not been able to remove the bolt. My rifle has the Redfield sight and I wonder if there could be an issue with the mag cutoff. I've seen a few videos on Krag disassembly but not any good ones. Any recommendations?

FredC

Re: Recommendation on Krag Dissassembly Guide?

Post by FredC »

For a book that has info on disassembly of various guns the NRA has a fairly good guide "Firearms Assembly .... Rifles and Shotguns" on You Tube you take your chances so much bad info out there.
I took my rifle to the house so I can not look at it right now, but I do not remember the cut off lever even being close to the bolt. The ejector could be stuck with gunk and getting in the way of the bolt or the bolt it self could be all gunky. If it is gunk I would use a solvent judiciously and sop up any extra so it does not run on to the stock till you got it free.
If you do disassemble it after you get the bolt free use good gunsmithing quality screw drives so you do not mess up the slots in the screws. Chinese, poor quality household or worn out screw drivers mess up so many screws.
Make sure the sight is not over reaching the bolt and binding, not familiar with the sight at all to know if that is possible.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

You mentioned that you have a Redfield sight. Did you loosen the elevation screw and raise the sight? If not, then do that first. Then, lift up on the tip of the extractor slightly with your finger and rotate the bolt to the left and extract the bolt to the rear. The mag cutoff lever (using a Redfield, you shouldn't have one installed) does not affect the bolt in any way. Install the bolt in reverse fashion: insert the bolt and once it's in the rearward position, rotate the bolt until the extractor is back in position in the top of the receiver.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Don't have my hands on a rifle just now, but could the bolt have become uncocked? I once was shown a Remington-Lee which was "jammed" and that was the cause. Of course, removing/raising the sight bar so as to be able to lift the extractor would be a must - perhaps the OP is not aware of this?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'bote' - A photo of your Krag "problem" would allow others to help with more effective advice.

The Magazine Cut-Off lever should have no bearing on bolt removal and replacement. (It makes no contact with the Bolt).

There are several different Redfield receiver-sight models for the Krag ('No-Drill' and 'Drill & Tap').

If you still have the cut-off lever on your Krag, I assume you do not have a 'no-drill' Redfield model. These models utilize the hole for the cut-off shaft, when properly installed.

I believe all the 'drill & tap' Redfield sights mount on the right-side of the receiver.

****(Just a Late Thought - If a sight 'mounting-screw' is too long, it would interfere with the Bolt).****

All brands and models of receiver mounted 'peep' sights (for the Krag) will require the elevation slide to be moved or removed to take the bolt out of the rifle.

As Fred C. suggested, when inserting a Krag bolt into the action, it is not unusual for the bolt to 'hang up' on the lobe on the ejector. All that is required is to lift the front tip of the ejector to allow the bolt to slide over the lobe on the rear of the ejector.

This is just a hunch, but, I suspect you were in the act of removing the Bolt from your Krag. Your extractor probably got hung up and fouled with your Receiver-Sight. Possibly, the 'bolt-sleeve' has rotated on the rear of your bolt putting the striker-assembly in the 'un-cocked' position. (If this has happened, the 'firing-pin' will be visible, projecting at the bolt-face). You are trapped - in a State of Limbo - Bolt totally out of position and jammed!

If this is the situation: 1. remove the elevation slide from your Redfield sight (or temporarily take the whole sight off). This may now allow you to manipulate the bolt - take it out or put it back. 2. If it is necessary to Recock your striker mechanism, firmly hold the bolt handle while pulling back the striker-knob and rotating it clock-wise.

bote

Post by bote »

Thanks for the responses. I was supposed to change out the dryer element last night but couldn't keep my hands off the Krag. I removed the Redfield 70K and the bolt came out just fine. I can't find anything broken or worn with the exception of the ejector. It has no mag cutoff but I understand this is not necessary. I completely disassembled the rifle and cleaned 100+ years of crud. It has a really shiny bore. With the exception of a crack in the stock, it is almost perfect.

I have only 16 rounds through it but it shows promise as vintage match contender.

FredC

Post by FredC »

It is funny how Krags keep calling to you!
On mine while I was working on it leaving out the magazine cut off led to poor feeding and damage to the case rims. You probably will want to replace it or install something that resembles the end of the cutoff in the pass through position. Not damaging cases may become even more of an issue if ammo shortages get worse.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I have only 16 rounds through it but it shows promise as vintage match contender.

Be advised: If this rifle is sporterized in any way, it will not be legal for Vintage Matches under CMP rules (A Redfield rear sight is an absolute no). Now that's not to say you can't shoot it in Vintage Matches. I shoot once a month at Kalamazoo Rod and Gun Club, and they do allow sporterized rifles with the exception that you can't shoot for score. If you intend to shoot in Vintage Matches for score, you will have to return it to "As Issued" condition, which includes a full stock, handguard, and original rear sight (any of the Krag rear sights will do so long as you have the appropriate handguard). Also, if it's cut down, that would require a new barrel to boot. If it is sporterized, and you really want to shoot in sanctioned matches, you may consider keeping it as a fun shooter/hunting rifle, and looking for an As Issued Krag for matches.

BTW, there is no shortage of people who can help you get started shooting your Krag in Vintage Matches (including myself).

bote

Post by bote »

This one has been sporterized but our club has a 100yd vintage match monthly. Three classes with everything ranging from trapdoors to ARs. I am looking for an original Krag but not sure what I want, new barrel, etc.

I read that the 1894 Krags were commonly updated. Which mag cutoff would be best?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'bote' - Actually, any of the various Krag magazine cut-offs will work in your 1894 dated action.

During your rifle's history, it was probably changed from the top one in my photo to the middle one. (The bottom cut-off is an 1898).

The middle cut-off is pretty easy to find and does not cost much (around $15).

Since you will not really be using the cut-off, except to smooth cartridge feed, its totally a matter of preference and convenience.

On early cut-offs, the lever was 'down' to feed cartridges.

About 1897, the function was changed, so that lever is 'up' to feed from the magazine. The polished side of the lever alerts your Officers that you have a 'Repeater'!

ImageImage