Recommendation on Krag Dissassembly Guide?

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
bote

Re: Recommendation on Krag Dissassembly Guide?

Post by bote »

Thanks Butlersrangers. I put it back together last night and it functions perfect. Not sure what happened, probably one of the scenarios you described. I just wasn't familiar enough with the action to identify. What happened was this; I had loaded and fired 12 rounds formed from 303Brits the day before just to see how the performed. They did great so I loaded 100 with different bullets. After four rounds, a 220 RN wouldn't chamber. I removed the rounds and then the bolt locked in the rear position.

You wouldn't happen to have a pic of a mag cutoff modified for the Redfield 70k would you?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'bote' - The "modification" was simply cutting the lever off of the cut-off shaft and inserting the altered shaft into its hole in the receiver wall.

Caution - The shaft has to be oriented with the flat side down, so that cartridges can feed. (You can see the 'cut-off tip' in my photo of the Krag action with the side-plate removed).

Any round metal rod or nail turned to proper diameter, filed to shape and cut to length will serve.

Myself, I would just spatula some J.B. Weld into the end of the cut-off groove to eliminate the 'speed bump'!

(Williams Gunsight instructions explain process for altering a Krag 'cut-off lever'- FWIW).ImageImage

bote

Post by bote »

I'll probably get a cutoff just to have one. The ones I found are in the $25 range. My normal sources for milsurp parts don't have any Krag stuff. Can you recommend a good source?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

PM an address to me and I can send you a spare (1896 style) one. Welcome to the Forum!

bote

Post by bote »

Thank you so much for the magazine cutoff! I have given it to a machinist to reproduce so I don't have to destroy an original part.