Paul: It is easier to get "Excepted" than be "Accepted"! Regards - Chuck

psteinmayer

Re: Brass Availability?

Post by psteinmayer »

LOL OOPS!

JR

Post by JR »

Contacted Remington and they advised factory running full speed producing regular ammo...expect 3rd quarter or later for 30-40 brass..
I ordered 4 boxes of PCI factory loaded ammo from Graff at about $36 a box...That will work for now.. :-/ :-/

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

That's what I did this past December. I found a place in Gettysburg that had a stack of Remington so I bought a few boxes. Then as I was making a second pass through the store I saw they had a few boxes of Winchester 30-40 so I bought two boxes. I don't have any Winchester and wanted to see how it shot compared to Remington.

I figured out that loaded ammo is my best shot at finding brass as expensive as that is.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I do prefer Winchester brass to the Remington. It's much brighter and cleans up nicely... however Remington is much more available and plentiful. I have 3 boxes of Remington ammo that I may shoot up this spring just to claim the brass (some of my current stock of around 400 is getting very long in the tooth with more than ten... and in some cases 20 loadings on them)! Maybe I'll hit Cabelas and get a few more factory load boxes while I'm at it.

8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

Until brass is once again available, It would be a good idea to purchase a 30-40 neck size die. Redding may be the only company that manufactures one.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Neck sizing dies are nice... but really, with the slight taper of the 30-40 case, all you have to do is back your FL sizing die out 3/4 to 1 turn. I do this with my LEE dies and it works great!