Reloading cast bullets for 1898 Krag

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Fairshake

Reloading cast bullets for 1898 Krag

Post by Fairshake »

Hello, My name is David Shultz, Fairshake is my forum name and I'm a new member. I've been reloading since 1968 and casting since 1970. I'm a member of SASS and shoot the matches with 44wcf firearms loaded with black powder. I have a 1898 rifle that is original and I've had it since 1968-69. I shot it when I was first given the gun and discovered that the bore was very dark and corroded. The accuracy was about pie plate in size so I used it as a mantle piece.
I started working on the bore and after a lot of work I discovered that the rifling was very good. I decided to take it out and start shooting it again.
While I have loaded for many different calibers, I've never done so for the 30-40. I would like to know what weight bullet and powder would be good to start with.
I appreciate any help that you may provide for me as I fully realize that what works well in one gun will shoot terrible in another. I have yet slugged the bore to see what bullet I need and what alloy I need to use. If I can stay away from a gas checked bullet, that would be nice but if it requires one then I will go that route.
I would also like to know if anyone has any thing on using the 303 British case for light loads in the Krag rifle. Thanks Much Fairshake

McKrag

Re: Reloading cast bullets for 1898 Krag

Post by McKrag »

I only shoot gas checked cast lead bullets in my two Krags. The grooves on both my Krags are right at .310 so I size my bullets to .312. For 200 yard CMP matches I use the Ed Harris load of 16 grains of Alliant 2400 powder and the Lyman 314299 bullet which weighs 205 grains from my wheel weight lead. I've chronographed this load before and it's about a 1400 fps load. It will keep them in the 10 ring of the 200 yard SR target if I can hold them there. It's a very mild load and cool to fire, wait a bit and then hear the thump of the bullet hitting the cardboard target backing.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I shoot cast out of my cutoff sporter in CBA cast bullet matches. I have a Kraghaus long rail with a LER scope. Slugged at .310 also, I shoot 185 gr NOE 311365 gas checked bullets over 17 grains of AA 5744, which runs around 16 fps. I can usually group around 1" at 200 yards shooting at 5 inch CBA official targets. Bob Wolfe (madsenshooter) graciously casts these for me, as I don't have any casting experience of my own.

I've never tried shooting cast out of my 1898 rifle in any CMP matches however... but I know plenty of Krag shooters who do. For my CMP Match Krag, I shoot 220 gr jacketed RN bullets.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Whoa Paul, 16 fps? That's some subsonic ammo! I bet the neighbors don't even notice.Image

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Whoa Paul, 16 fps? That's some subsonic ammo! I bet the neighbors don't even notice.

LOL Make that 1600!

RichWIS

Post by RichWIS »

We (SIL & I) use the NOE 311291 GC with excellent results behind 12 grs of Blue Dot in an 1894 and 1896 sporter, mild recoil and accurate. Have also used the Lyman 311041 GC with the same load, also mild and accurate but occasionally balks at loading possibly due its flat point. My 1894 also like the NOE 311284 GC in front of 10 grains of Blue Dot. Not sure of the velocity on any of these but guessing 14-1500 FPS. We must have rifles made on a good day at the barrel shop, both slug just under .309, so we size .310. Before I got a .310 die I sized at .309 and if the extra .001 made a difference we can't see it. FWIW the 1894 (20 inch) is pitted from chamber to muzzle but the 1896 (24 inch) is excellent.

McKrag

Post by McKrag »

I have a .310 lube sizer die and have tried various cast bullets at that diameter but that don't hold a group like when the same bullets are sized at .312. My bore shines and is in excellent condition, but must have been on Springfield Armory's .310 diameter groove day.
I've shot loads with 10 or 12 grains on Unique for 100 yard CMP matches, but find Unique position sensitive which makes for vertical stringing during the rapid fire strings. Harris was correct in that I see no stringing with Alliant 2400 powder. It doesn't appear to be position sensitive..even with the light 16 grain charge.
I also cast for the Lyman 311284 very old traditional bullet for the Krag, but the 314299 bullet shoots better groups for me.

David, Give cast bullets a try in your Krag. If you haven't read Ed Harris about cast bullet loads I'll find his artical (s) and post a link. His basic 200 yard target load involves about any cast bullet and 16 grains on Alliant 2400 powder. I've found that load to be very accurate at 200 yards.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I tied the 'Harris 200 yard' load (16 grains of Hercules #2400) today with the Lee C312 cast bullet (155 grain with gas check and Alox tumble lube & sized to .311").

I was using a cut-down model 1898 Krag that I put back together in 'sporting' form from parts. I only made up 9 rounds for testing at 50 yards. The Krag bore has some minor pitting & roughness. The bullets, I used, were 'Seconds' that I culled for minor blemishes.

This is my first experience casting and shooting 'smaller bore' lead/alloy rifle bullets with gas checks and smokeless powder. Accuracy was promising at 50 yards.

Initial Cleaning of the bore left patches quite black with some Lead flakes after bore brushing. I suspect my alloy is not optimal and may be too hard(???). On the next batch of bullets, I will apply a second 'wash' of Alox, after running lubed bullets through Lee .311 Bullet Sizing Die.

I used old Remington Brass, Winchester large rifle primers, neck-sized the cases, andcartridge OAL was 2.922". The re-loads fed through the Krag magazine smoothly. ImageImageImage

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I've got a large selection of bullets that I need to get around to trying. In general, I use slower powder than all the fellows have listed above, and shoot for higher velocities. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it don't. I've had some pretty consistent results with a load similar to the others using the tumble lube version of the bullet Butler's Rangers has pictured. Blue Dot, when I had some, was a favorite powder, around 20gr with the Eagan MX3-30AR, a bullet similar to the RCBS 168gr Silly-Wet was a real performer. It was the first cast load I shot out of my Krag and got me hooked with the majority of a 12 or 13 shot 100yd group touching each other! The Belding and Mull 311169 is also good if kept in the velocity range it likes, 1400-1600fps. It's Belding and Mull's version of the Lyman 311413. Don't waste time trying for higher velocity, something about the balance of that bullet, the faster you go above the velocity it likes, the wilder it gets. Harder alloys and slower powders hasn't helped.

McKrag

Post by McKrag »

It probably doesn't need to be said, but great care must be used when loading the fast "pistol" powders like Unique or 2400. A double charge if gone unnoticed would be a disaster.
Harris also liked 11 grains of Red Dot. I've tried that but again get elevation stringing that I don't when using 2400.

Great work with the Lee bullet and 2400 loads. That looks klike their SKS bullet which I have and use in other rifles, too. My patches come out black when shooting 2400 like that too. I never have any leading and I've used stright out wheel weights for my plinking and practice loads and Lyman #2 alloy for my match bullets. Liquid alox lube on 1400+ (155 grain bullets probably somewhat faster) may be OK..seems a bit fast for liquid alox to me. That's a very cool looking rifle and good shooting.