Finally settled on a match load

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Keith Herrington

Finally settled on a match load

Post by Keith Herrington »

I've been working on and off to develop a match load for my 1898 Krag rifle.

img
img

I finally settled on the Hornady 220 grain RN SP over 40 grains of IMR4350, using W-W brass (match prepped) and CCI200 primers. The results of this load far outstripped the performance of any other load I tried. The 5 shots are at 6 and 9 o'clock in the 10 and X rings. The vertically strung group of 5 above are from a 180 grain Sierra RN test load.

img

Now to load up a bunch and get to practicing.

Keith

Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

psteinmayer

Re: Finally settled on a match load

Post by psteinmayer »

Sounds like you're on the right track Keith. I use the exact same load for my matches with one exception - I use the CCI 250 Magnum primer to ensure a more consistent burn with the 4350. The 220RN/40 gr 4350 is about as close as you can get to the original .30 Army round with modern powder and components. I'm using mostly R P brass., although I do have a decent supply of the Winchester brass too.

Keith Herrington

psteinmayer,

If I recall from one our earlier discussions, you do not crimp your loads. I'm using a Lee Factory Crimp Die. I'm wondering if this helps get a complete burn? Thoughts?
Keith
Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Oh no... I always use the Lee FCD. I use the magnum primers because the 4350 is a slower burning powder and doesn't light as easily as some of the faster powders like 4895 and 4064... but 4350 works very well in a longer barrel with a heavier/slower bullet.

Are you planning on shooting at Perry this year? You should squad with Bob Wolfe (Madsenshooter) and me. We're shooting vintage on Sunday morning (Garand is Saturday morning this year).

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

We have been using that same load with magnum primers for some time now with good results. We have never crimped and have not had any problems as of yet.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

The crimping for me is just for my own piece of mind... but doesn't really prevent problems with feeding for the round nosed bullets. It does play an important part with spitzer bullets for me though. If I don't crimp them, then I will experience telescoping when feeding spitzers. With the crimp, both of my 98s feed them great!

Keith Herrington

Oh no... I always use the Lee FCD. I use the magnum primers because the 4350 is a slower burning powder and doesn't light as easily as some of the faster powders like 4895 and 4064... but 4350 works very well in a longer barrel with a heavier/slower bullet.

Have you chrono'd the load trying both primers (cci 200 vs 250)? If so, did you see a reduction in SD and ES?

Keith
Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Nope, never chrono'd my rounds (too poor to afford a chronograph, LOL).

Using a magnum primer with 4350 is not out of the realm. Remember, all military rounds use a magnum primer regardless of the powder. CCI 34 and CCI 41 primers are the military round standard and they are just CCI 250 and CCI 500 primers with slightly thicker primer cup material (to prevent slam fire).

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

A crimp does make start pressure (pressure needed to get the bullet moving) more consistent. I generally try to avoid them with cast bullets as too much can size the cast bullet down as it passes through with low pressure loads. You certainly can't complain about that group Keith. One little notch up and they'd have all been Xs! Bob still isn't sure about Camp Perry. He shot a match last weekend and the black ball is now a grey ball! That was through a Garand peep, might not be as bad with an open sight.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

How does the Sierra 220 gr RN compare to the Hornady 220 grain RN SP?

I have a couple hundred of the Sierras back home and would like to use them.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio