Junk Yard Krag

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
butlersrangers

Junk Yard Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

I finally had a nice sunny day for a trip to the Range. The wind was gusty, but, colder temps and snow are predicted later this week.

I have a model 1898 Krag with a very dark rough bore. It is a 'Donor' that gave its decent stock and other minor parts for the restoration of a better Krag with a near mint bore.

Recently, I glued a partial forearm to a cut-down stock and put the 'Donor' back together with blemished parts. It's ugly with mixed colors of wood, an obvious splice, and buggered screws, but, I gave it a try today.

Benched at 50 yards, it put seven rounds in a 2 inch circle (165 grain Speer Spitzer/40 grains WW748/neck-sized). This load fed very smoothly and was pleasant to shoot. Now, what to do with it? (I hate seeing Krags broken down and sold off as parts).

I also played with my Rolling Block .22 and my 1893 7mm Mauser. A fun afternoon!ImageImageImageImage

craigster

Re: Junk Yard Krag

Post by craigster »

Not bad at all for a "junker". I've seen worse.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Keep it and shoot it!!!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

+1 on that... Keep it and shoot it!

geezmo

Post by geezmo »

I'd say keep it and shoot it. Maybe for harder use, like hunting, etc. If you really don't want it around, maybe you could pass it on at a modest price to a young would be collector on a limited budget. Get someone else hooked on the hobby. The last thing I would do is break it up for parts. Even the old beaters are fun.

spentprimer

Post by spentprimer »

I agree with the rest of these guys ... Keep it and send some lead downrange!