Marines?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
butlersrangers

Marines?

Post by butlersrangers »

I recently saw this "Magic Lantern" Slide on ebay described as Spanish American War Artillerymen. It appears to me they may be bearing Winchester-Lee Straight-pull Rifles. Are these Marines or are they Artillerymen with "Trap-doors"?Image

mjanway

Re: Marines?

Post by mjanway »

Were Marines ever allowed to have beards?

Jack

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

I vote for trapdoors. With my magnifying glass, I think I see hammers on the starboard side of each rifle.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

reincarnated: Yes, I think you are right. Quess I just got excited by the color!

docbob

Post by docbob »

I would say they are trapdoors. the 2nd man from the right certainly looks to be carrying a trapdoor as the hammer seems pretty evident.
Just my 2 cents

DocBob

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

The next question is "what kind of unit?" The color is not accurate. If they were artillery, the stripe on the sergeant's trousers would be red. Could they be some sort of National Guard unit?

Marcus99

Post by Marcus99 »

I know that area, a little south of midtown. I can tell you that there is no grass left there now for military drills, and definitely no ranges to practice shooting your .45-70 or Krag!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Marcus99: I believe the address is that of the Photograph Slide Maker, not where the picture was taken.

Kirk

Post by Kirk »

The belt buckles appear to have crossed rifles or crossed sabers looks like what the Army Infantry or Calvary would use. They do not look, to me, to be crossed cannons. If they were Marines, wouldn't the insignia include the globe & anchor?

The barrels appears to be not long enough to be a trapdoor rifle & the stock too long to be a carbine.

I don't see any bayonets hanging from belts. That would be expected if the arms are some type of carbine. The Lee Navy bayonet scabbard had wire hooks to fit in eyelets. The belts shown could be for the Lee Navy. The Lee rifle had a pistol grip and I do not see any in the photo although it is difficult to tell. http://www.spanamwar.com/lee.htm

To me, the rifles apprear not to be either Krags or trapdoors. I'd have to guess they are Lee Navy rifles.

Weston

Post by Weston »

Here's the SpanAm War era marine "pillbox" hat with the globe and anchor. Clearly the same style hat but I can't make out the emblem in this pic.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?73911-1898-USMC-Pillbox-Hat