G-G-Gorgeous Sporter!

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Brian Carp

G-G-Gorgeous Sporter!

Post by Brian Carp »

Recently acquired this rifle for an embarrassingly low price, and have to share. It's the nicest Krag sporter I've personally ever seen. It's very professionally done, with an expertly checkered walnut replacement stock, Lyman sights (front and rear), reblued receiver and bbl (original Krag bbl cut to 24"), minty bore, recoil pad with Winchester logo and marked "Patent June 6 1922." There's even a forearm inlay around the bbl screw that appears to be antique ivory! It's M1898 serial #264050 (1900 manufacture date).
Does anyone know who might have done this beautiful work, or when? The rifle appears hardly used at all, and had been in storage the better part of two decades, from what I understand....

img

img

img
Brian

Port Crane, NY

Brian Carp

Re: G-G-Gorgeous Sporter!

Post by Brian Carp »

Some more pics:

img

img

img

img
Brian

Port Crane, NY

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Brian,

I forwarded your post to Michael Petrov in Alaska. If anyone can answer your question, I think he is the guy.

r

Michael Petrov

Post by Michael Petrov »

A very nice sporter, well above the normal spoterized Krags that I see.

Sorry, I do not recognize the maker, the receiver sight and the angled forend tip suggest post-WWII.

MP

Brian Carp

Post by Brian Carp »

Thanks, gents! FYI, the rifle will be going up for sale....
Brian

Port Crane, NY

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

She's a beauty!

My sporter is also cut to 24 inches, but has a true Krag front sight post (with a replacement blade). It had a Redfield #102 peep sight on it, which I removed. Now it has an original 1902 rear sight. It has a replacement stock that I hate, but eventually, I'm going to get a true (replacement) carbine stock!