Plattsburgh Barracks - Krag Era

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Plattsburgh Barracks - Krag Era

Post by butlersrangers »

I was searching for photographs taken at Plattsburgh Barracks, (located in New York State near shore of Lake Champlain).

It was my hope to possibly find pictures, taken in 1902, of troops testing BoOF 26" Krag rifles or prototype 'rod bayonet' .30 cal. Springfield (bolt-action) rifles.

No luck finding 'trial' rifles, but, here are some neat Spanish-American War period photos, from The New York Heritage digital collection.

These were mixed in with lots of WW-1 training photos. Too good not to share!ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: Plattsburgh Barracks - Krag Era

Post by butlersrangers »

A few more, most of the pictures were not identified by unit or date.ImageImageImageImage

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Are you sure that's full-length Krag in . . . striking camp . . . ?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick - I don't see any rifles in the picture of the tents coming down.

If you mean the gentleman, standing in front of a tent, with the 45 Star Flag? I think that is a full-length Krag.Image

pickax

Post by pickax »

An interesting side note from Mallory 2nd ed. page 83.
" What is believed to be the marksmanship record for Krag rifles was set at the Plattsburgh Barracks N.Y. .. by 1st Sgt. Leonard Deitz, Co.M. 23rd infantry, on August 19, 1902, using a model 1896 rifle equipped with model 1901 rear sight.
This record consisted of 26 consecutive bullseyes at 1000 yds."

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Dick - I don't see any rifles in the picture of the tents coming down.

If you mean the gentleman, standing in front of a tent, with the 45 Star Flag? I think that is a full-length Krag.

I just noticed that the titles are on top of the pic, so I referred the wrong one. I guess, after looking at it again, it is full-length. The 45-star flag looks awkward - I have a 46, which is more symmetrical. There was no 47 - I was born under the 48.