Model 1898 Krag Carbine Identification

U.S. Military Krags
ajv

Re: Model 1898 Krag Carbine Identification

Post by ajv »

One common usage for the large "C" was to indicate that something was condemned. Other meanings are, of course, possible.

As to value - the rifle sight hurts because it fits NO official scenario. If it had a carbine sight it would have the same value as an 1899 carbine. As is, it would be less.

Whether or not it ever was a real carbine would be a gamble at this point. Too many years and too many hands have come and gone to ever be completely sure. A (very) faint hope would be that a long-lost cache of serials turns up in the future, and yours was listed, or there were a bunch of really "close" numbers which would tend to, statistically at least, improve your position.

Right now, you are smack in the middle of the "Great 1898 Carbine Morass" with no lifeline in sight. You do have plenty of company, however! :-)

I haven't seen another yet that had that marking so that makes a lot of sense. At this point I'm looking for its value to determine its collect-ability rather than sale. If it's not worth keeping in the collection I'll most likely just get rid of it. I appreciate your input. Everyone has been really helpful.

I have the rifle to hold on to if I should decide to get rid of the carbine in question. It's in rougher shape but otherwise untouched.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'ajv': When U.S. arms were condemned, it's likely the metal action or barrel was involved. If stamped with the "C", it is likely it was done in several places, especially on the action. Possibly your carbine stock came off such an arm and was salvaged by someone. It is not likely a stock would be 'condemned'. It would be replaced.

How is the bore on your carbine? Nothing helps bonding to a collectable arm more than shooting it.

ajv

Post by ajv »

'ajv': When U.S. arms were condemned, it's likely the metal action or barrel was involved. If stamped with the "C", it is likely it was done in several places, especially on the action. Possibly your carbine stock came off such an arm and was salvaged by someone. It is not likely a stock would be 'condemned'. It would be replaced.

How is the bore on your carbine? Nothing helps bonding to a collectable arm more than shooting it.

That would make sense as it's only in the one spot and it seems this krag has been pieced together. Overall it's pretty clean, with exception to some cosmoline and such as its been in storage. The bore is clean. It was definitely maintained over the years. I'd consider having it cleaned up if I decide to hold on to it.