Is this gonna get me in trouble?

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Parashooter

Re: Is this gonna get me in trouble?

Post by Parashooter »

Measure how far normal trigger action moves the sear during the first stage and you may see that it would take a very thick wire (shim) to create the hazard Fred cautions about.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Back in the Day', they called the first-stage of the trigger-pull "Drag".

This is how Dr. Hudson, and others, eliminated the first-stage on their Krag triggers. Image

RicKrager

Post by RicKrager »

Due to the interest I took two photos of the trigger modifications made to my dressed up Krag. I bought it as a shooter (about 1975) and now realize it is as it was on that fine day when first we met, the Krag and I. So I have not harmed a collectors item. Rather, I have enhanced a darn good shooter and given it the respect it deserves.

I respect the collector/shooters who strive to keep their rifles as they were. I take em as I find em. It is good to know this remarkable wood and steel device excites such care. There is no plastic and alloy firearm that calls out to us as our fine Krags.ImageImage

RicKrager

Post by RicKrager »

Looking at my two photos I now realize the image might be improved if I had selected medium rather than small. If desired I can resend them. I also want to say that the sear engagement screw, when properly adjusted, will not in my experience, create a hazardous condition.

I really like the positive locking of the action of the safety. When in doubt, employ it.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Rick,
Interesting way of doing things. I know I speak for the rest of the KCA clan, we like all things Krag. When you get a chance take some more pictures. The members here can tell you a lot of interesting tidbits about the history of yours.
For some questions, how hard was your trigger to drill and tap? My broken one here really resists scratching with a file. On the one into the guard you could use a slotted or Allen set screw and use a touch of wicking Loctite on the threads after you have it just right, that way the screw head will not be detracting from the looks. Over travel is not a safety issue so I might adjust it just a little loose in case the guard moves a little with contraction or expansion with humidity changes on the stock. Would hate to be pulling on the trigger and it not go off when aiming at a prize buck. :-)
On the screw on the trigger, I was trying to think of a method to ensure you have enough sear engagement for safety and came up with using a black marker on both sear surfaces and dry firing a couple of times. You should be able to tell how much engagement you have by how much black gets worn off. Common sense will tell you if you have enough that so it will be safe in all different temperatures and accidental dropping of the rifle. Be sure to lift on the cocking piece and bolt sleeves in your safety tests.
Attached is a photo of my shop made trigger. Again it was made because at that time I did not know you could buy replacement triggers and I wanted a different style of pull than standard military.Image

RicKrager

Post by RicKrager »

Hello FredC,
Thank you for your insight and the photo of your trigger fabrication. That was mighty fine work you did. I recall your comment that you did it 40-some years ago. My work on my trigger took place when I was working at a gunsmithing school . . . Hmmm. Over 40 years ago. My, how time flies when we are busy living life. I dont recall any particular problems with the job but as far as engagement goes, I was then as now aware of the delicacy and concern regarding creating an unsafe condition. I guess you would have to shoot it to see what I achieved with both screws. Engagement is solid, release is smooth but firm. I should measure the trigger pull to see what it takes to release.

Its not jumpy or scary. It breaks clean and the over travel screw has not caused any interference with release. I understand your suggestion regarding a fixed screw but at least with the present set-up it is easy to adjust back if it seems necessary. As to looks, I am at peace with having a .30 cal shooter of modest yet effective performance. Below I show my latest find - a m1896 I found at a local gun show. Bolt & bore are bright & clean.

Be well and thank you. RickImage

FredC

Post by FredC »

I am sure you did your homework since you were in gunsmithing school at the time and 40 years and no problems tells a lot also. For other copying your work, my comments might be helpful.

I know we all will like to see more pictures, the experts here can tell you a lot of your Krag's history by seeing the details.