Hosmers in Springfield area

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Hosmers in Springfield area

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick Hosmer: I checked the 1900 and 1920 U.S. Census records for Springfield - Hampden Co., Ma., online, but, failed to find any Hosmer men listed as being 'employed at the U.S. Armory'. (Springfield, Ma. was quite the manufacturing hub and the Census listings seem to specifically note, when people work at the 'US Armory').

In 1900, Springfield City:
Charles H. Hosmer, age 46, (wife - Laura E.) of #47 Marble St. was listed as a "toolmaker".

William Hosmer, age 34, (wife - Mattie F. and six sons, ages 1 to 13) of 161 King St. was listed as a "Filler Iron, Steel".

In Westfield Township, there were two families with 'Hosmer' Railway Locomotive Engineers - Henry B. Hosmer & Merrill H. Hosmer. (1900 & 1920).

In Southwick Town, Luther F. Hosmer and Charles H. Hosmer were Farmers. (1900 & 1920).

I noted at least another ten Hosmer men in 1920, (Springfield and Westfield), who had occupations unrelated to the Armory.

There was an elderly couple I noticed in the 1900 Census in Westfield Town: Simon Hosmer (80), born 1809 in Maine and his wife, Abbie (76), born 1824 in Maine. Their neighbors were George Manning (67), born 1833 in Conn. and his wife, Lucretia (47), born 1853 in N.Y.

Dick, Any connection to your family?

Dick Hosmer

Re: Hosmers in Springfield area

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Chuck,
Thanks for the info. I have a list on my old computer which I will send you. The family (another Luther) started work in 1809 and the last one finished up around 1923. William E. Hosmer, cartouche "WEH" was the very last, I believe. In-laws with the surnames of Pomeroy and Bliss also worked at SA in the 1870s-90s. George W. Hosmer ("GWH") was active in the 1870s, and is thought to have inspected at least some Ward-Burtons (neither of mine bear his stamp, however).

47 Marble is now a ball field, but 39 is still standing, and looks period.

161 King is still there - looks to have been re-sided, at least, but the core appears original.

You have gotten my interest up - had never thought of searching for the houses before, but now I will.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick Hosmer:

I found Charles B. Hosmer, age 56, (Wife - Caroline) employed at "U.S. Armoree" in 1870 census. (No addresses recorded back then).

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

That would be Charles Bliss Hosmer (1814-1888), eldest son of Luther, the man who started the SA line in 1809.

Where did you find the map shown earlier?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick: That 'plat' map of Springfield Armory and immediate area is from "Atlas of Springfield 1899", plate #12.

(Plate #11, shows King St. & King Ave. area).

Maps are viewable online, can be purchased, (and claimed copyrighted) through - Historic Map Works, residential genealogy.

Google search: Historic Map Works, then Springfield, Ma.