First Krag

U.S. Military Krags
Marcuse99

First Krag

Post by Marcuse99 »

Hello All,
I'm a new guy here from PA and just recently acquired my first Krag through the CMP North store. A Krag has been high on my wish list for a long time, but I always wanted one that was in(or close) to military configuration. Having little knowledge on the rifle, and being aware that many have been sporterized over the years, led me to purchasing a rifle from the CMP. The price was a bit more than I was hoping to spend, but such is life. :D

I'm hoping that some of the experts here can tell me a bit more about my particular rifle. SN 431503 Thank you!!
I've included a link to picture below:
https://imgur.com/a/0O8MarQ

butlersrangers

Re: First Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

Marcuse99 - Welcome to the KCA Forum and congratulations on your CMP Krag purchase.

Your U.S. Model 1898 Krag rifle, #431503, was assembled around January, 1903. The metal appears quite nice and remarkably clean and rust-free. I hope the bore is as nice!

Your rear-sight is the model 1901 'Buffington' sight. This sight is rather popular for target shooting. It is adjustable for windage by pushing the front 'lock-lever' to the left. This frees the upper-base to be swung (left or right) to correct windage. Fine index marks at the rear of the bases help with adjustment and repeatability. Pushing the lever to the right locks the movable base.
(If the lock-lever does not move to the left with thumb pressure, some penetrating oil, a little time, and a light tap to the left with a plastic mallet, will do the trick).

I will attach some photos from an Ordnance Manual on the operation of the 1901 sight.

Your stock has a nice acceptance cartouche, [J.S.A.-1902], for Joseph Sumner Adams, assistant foreman Springfield Armory Assembly Room.
Given the 1902 date, this was not the original stock on your Krag. It was possibly switched during an arsenal or armory 'rebuild'. (Most Krags underwent refurbishing of parts and rebuilding during their service life).
The stock also might have been switched by other entities during the past 117 years.

The circled "P" (proof) on your stock, indicates it was on an arm that passed function testing. The earlier markings were left on Krag stocks, when a stock was reused. (New markings were not usually applied to Krag stocks, as on other arms in later eras).
Your stock appears to have a chip of wood missing on the left-side, in front of the action side-plate.

Lots of Krags saw National Guard use and were used as training rifles during WW-1.
When obsolete, many Krags were loaned to VFW organizations. I believe a lot of Krags that have come through the CMP in recent times are returns from Veteran Organizations.

Truthfully, the government tried to get rid of Krags back in the 1920's and early 1930's.
It would be fascinating to know where your Krag has been hiding all these years!
Last edited by butlersrangers on Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcuse99

Post by Marcuse99 »

Thank you so much for the information. The bore was listed as "bright" from the CMP armorers. I've not taken a borescope to it, but it seemed relatively clean when I cleaned it for the first time. It's my understanding as well that these most recent Krag's that the CMP received were returned from veterans organizations.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Marcuse99' - I would recommend a couple of 'starter' books to help build your Krag knowledge and increase you enjoyment for the 'NEW' Krag.

Poyer's "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine" and reprints of the (1917) U.S. Ordnance Manual for the (Krag) U.S. Magazine Rife & Carbine are available at low cost, from vendors on ebay.

These works will explain much and answer many questions you may have.

You can also explore the many earlier threads, on the KCA Forum, and learn about many aspects about Krags, gun maintenance, history, and shooting.

Experts? - Many of us feel we are actually life-time students and that there is always more to learn and experience about Krags.

(Attached is some information about the 1901 sight):
Attachments
a manual-0.jpg
a manual-0.jpg (143.07 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
a manual-29.jpg
a manual-29.jpg (160.2 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
a manual-30.jpg
a manual-30.jpg (173.87 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
a manual-31.jpg
a manual-31.jpg (175.7 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
a manual-32.jpg
a manual-32.jpg (107.73 KiB) Viewed 1516 times

donki1967

Post by donki1967 »

Very nice Krag, mine is almost the same year as yours (#431788)
:D