First shot from a Krag

U.S. Military Krags
Kerz

First shot from a Krag

Post by Kerz »

A bit of Krag history.

"On Aug. 19, 1907 a new era in National Match history began with the firing of NRA and Ohio State Rifle Association matches. Specifically, the first shot of the event was fired from a Krag by Corp. L.B. Jarrett of Indiana at 9:10 a.m. in the Championship Company Team Match..." https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2020/11/ ... umy8tkgiEU
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

butlersrangers

Re: First shot from a Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

Kerz, thanks for posting the link to American Rifleman article. (I got to get me one of those 'Pope micrometers' for my 1901 sight)!

I was recently reading a period 'Rifleman's Handbook' and Camp Perry met the criteria for a perfect Rifle Range: flat drained fields, facing north, with the "ocean" for a backstop.

I read that near Port Clinton there is a reef in Lake Erie, 10 miles to the north, that denies the coastline at Camp Perry to large shipping vessels.

I was at an "Ohio State Rifle & Pistol Assn. / M-1 Clinic" at Camp Perry one Spring weekend, when a 'cease-fire' was called during the Sunday match.
Some fishermen were master baiting in the bullet drop zone, which was marked and off limits. They ignored repeated instructions to leave the area.

Finally, a N.G. Helicopter was "put up" and blew them across the Lake with its powerful prop wash .... and the match resumed!

HeyJoe

Re: First shot from a Krag

Post by HeyJoe »

I've used a PJ O'Hare micrometer on my 1901 Krag sight as well as an '03 Springfield. Works just fine on either.