Curious ebay picture with Krag

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
butlersrangers

Curious ebay picture with Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

I saw this photo on ebay today. It was described as Italian Soldier with U.S. Krag and American tourists around 1920. Although at first glance the soldier resembles an Italian Bersaglieri soldier, his rifle is clearly a Norwegian Krag. The soldier is actually a member of the Royal Guard of the Kingdom of Norway. In 1860, Princess Louise of Sweden liked the hats worn by the Bersaglieri Alpine soldiers of Italy. She insisted the Norwegian soldiers in the Swedish Royal Guard wear plumed bowler hats. The tradition continues to this day with the Palace Guards of Norway.Image

butlersrangers

Re: Curious ebay picture with Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

Present day Royal Guard - Kingdom of Norway:Image

Century2

Post by Century2 »

In Norwegian (per Google Translate): fin link til historien (nice link to history)! ;)
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. Theodore Roosevelt

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Guard #1 did not shine his shoes. We can't see, but I bet Guard #2 did.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I find the presence of the modern "assault rifle" to be totally incongruous with the classic uniform. I see no reason why such ceremonial personnel (especially in such a quiet backwater as Norway) need to be so armed. Keep a flying squad of SWAT guys right inside the door if you will, but let the "show" people carry Krags, or at least Mausers.

I am a great fan of the martial parades, tattoos, etc. available now on YouTube, and one of the strangest sights is the Brits with their gray plastic-stocked bullpups. Again, completely incongruous for formal occasions.

BTW, anyone aware of the protocol for whether or not such guards (I'd assume yes) and parade troops (I'd assume almost certainly NOT) are carrying live ammo for their weapons? I suppose it varies wildly, depending on the country. What about US guards at the Tomb?

mussonor

Post by mussonor »

I find the presence of the modern "assault rifle" to be totally incongruous with the classic uniform. I see no reason why such ceremonial personnel (especially in such a quiet backwater as Norway) need to be so armed. Keep a flying squad of SWAT guys right inside the door if you will, but let the "show" people carry Krags, or at least Mausers.

I am a great fan of the martial parades, tattoos, etc. available now on YouTube, and one of the strangest sights is the Brits with their gray plastic-stocked bullpups. Again, completely incongruous for formal occasions.

BTW, anyone aware of the protocol for whether or not such guards (I'd assume yes) and parade troops (I'd assume almost certainly NOT) are carrying live ammo for their weapons? I suppose it varies wildly, depending on the country. What about US guards at the Tomb?

They do carry live ammo and is an active part of the security.

Here is av article recently written about the gardist: http://www.nordlys.no/nyheter/byavisa_tromso/article6365051.ece