Re: Rear sight

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
ToxicGreen

Post by ToxicGreen »

Good morning everyone, I'm a newbie here with a curious question. I have an 1896 model Krag with a 1901 rear sight on it. Is this a common thing for the manufacturer to do or is it possible that the sight was replaced at some point? The reason that I am asking is because the hand guard is missing and it looks like I will have to buy the 1901 sight hand guard. I just want to make sure that it will line up properly. If I can find one of course.

Thanks,
Larry

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

In addition to changing their minds (several times) as to what was the best style of military sight for use on new production rifles, over the life of the Krag, older weapons still in service were frequently up-graded with the latest model of same. What you have is not at all uncommon.

Yes, you should get a 1901 handguard - and if the rifle is in nice shape, you should consider finding an original. Repro handguards are a mixed bag - some are fairly passable, others are just plain crap.

One key point, when you go to install the HG (barreled action needs to be taken out of the wood) remove the rear sight, lightly oil the barrel and slide the handguard on, having started it well forward on the reduced diameter. Do not attempt to snap the new HG directly down over the sight!

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I had a friend take his handguard off the way Dick doesn't recommend. It was a model 98 with a 96 rear sight. I cringed as he pulled it up, and told him he was lucky, those things are over $100! I can recommend the reproductions sold on ebay, or here: http://www.partsforantiqueguns.com/Krag%20%28Springfield%29%20Upper%20Handguards.htm They're made from black walnut, if you have one of the lighter stocks, they're going to be hard to match.

ToxicGreen

Post by ToxicGreen »

Thanks guys, your info and tips are very helpful. I want to find an original if at all humanly possible. I will probably have to keep my eyes peeled for a while before one pops up. If I can't find one after a few months or so, I may consider a reproduction. The maple would probably work well because my stock is dark.