High serial number

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Tom Butts
Site Admin

High serial number

Post by Tom Butts »

A fellow contacted me about a nice sporter Krag that he has. It is a nice looking gun, but not unmolested. The serial number is 479989. This is one of the highest serial numbers I have seen.

Best regards,
Tom

Top Dean

Re: High serial number

Post by Top Dean »

that serial number is within the range of offical serial number but was assembled after the production ended at 474693. but a total of499036 were built at Springfield.

Century2

Post by Century2 »

I observed 487808 for sale on Gunbroker recently. Previously, the highest I saw was in the 482xxx range.
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. Theodore Roosevelt

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Just as an aside here, I've noticed that there were clearly several different sets of number stamps used for the serials over the years. Just one more little variance to track, for those who are wont to do such things. I'm just calling attention to the fact - have no real data; and, it really makes no difference, unless someone were trying to fake something rare, like a Board rifle.

5MadFarmers

Post by 5MadFarmers »

that serial number is within the range of offical serial number

There's an "official serial number?" I'd appreciate it if you sent me the source for that.

but was assembled after the production ended at 474693. but a total of499036 were built at Springfield.

There's a specific number for end of production? I'd appreciate it if you sent me the source for that.

There's a number for the total built at Springfield? I'd appreciate it if you sent me the source for that.

I'll send you an "Official" Model 1897 tool if you can send me a clear readable picture for a Krag with a serial stamped at Springfield in the 490K range. If 499036 were assembled at Springfield that means 9,000 guns would qualify. Given that only 5K 1898 carbines were made, and I've seen many examples (own some), finding one from a range of 9K should be trivial.

I'll spiffy up the tool while I wait.

Top Dean

Post by Top Dean »

I will attach pictures of the cover of the Poyer Book and the page the data came from page 237. It is in black and white and this is one of the books as it is written for collectors, so if you care to doubt the informat you need to go and find someone whom will tell you what you want to hear weather it is the truth or not.Image

Top Dean

Post by Top Dean »

here is a copy of the cover, and sorry for the incorrectly spelled word in the last message.Image

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Sorry, T.D., but you have NO idea (yet) how deep a pile of elephant poop you just stepped in!

Having said that however, I'm now gonna sit back and stay outta this one. . . . . . . . . go easy on him Joe, he's always seemed like a nice guy.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

With that being said I will add that Poyer's book on the Krag, while handy has numerous flaws. He was offered help and info from many of the best Krag minds at the time and only partially used it. His research was sketchy and he relied on old and out dated information on numerous points. He created his own categories to condense space, I suppose, instead of using official government lingo in descriptions. The book is better than nothing,but in many cases just barely!!

5MadFarmers

Post by 5MadFarmers »

go easy on him Joe, he's always seemed like a nice guy.

Mr. Hosmer I'd simply mentioned that recommending that people buy a certain book, the only merit of which seems to be it's cheap, leads to this.

In certain arenas it's better to not spend the money on tawdry goods as you'll find yourself lessened by the experience. Either spend what it takes or simply refrain altogether. One of the observations formed in my time on this planet is that a bad tool is worse than no tool at all. When one possesses a bad tool it's harder to justify buying a useful tool. "I'd buy that quality tool which works but I really can't justify it as I have this one already." The fallacy of that being the inadequate tool doesn't actually do the job. Throw it away and buy one which works.

So suggesting people buy an inadequate tool solely on cost is probably not a good practice as they'll just get left feeling dejected, embarrassed, and wishing they'd never asked in the first place.

Top Dean, cast down that false tome of fables and spend money on a Krag book. Pick Brophy or Mallory, either or both, and forget this entire unfortunate post.