Need Info

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
El_Guapo

Need Info

Post by El_Guapo »

I inherited a Krag from my grandfather just recently and I have found it hard to come by any information on the internet for my Springfield 1898. SN# is 168751. Anything about my gun would be appreciated. I am guessing everything is the way my grandpa got it except for the stock which has a rubber butt on it. I havesome pictures I can post later. Thanks

Rick_the_Librarian

Re: Need Info

Post by Rick_the_Librarian »

Your Krag is an 1898 rifle and was probably manufactured in early 1899. Is it still in original condition (except for the buttplate)?

Matt Evjen

Post by Matt Evjen »

Yes, I don't know much, but my grandpa replaced the butt plate for hunting. Everything else looks original. The wood assembly has the initials C.I stamped on it when I dissesemble it for cleaning. That is the only other writing I can see marked on it.

Matt Evjen

Post by Matt Evjen »

This is a picture I took of my krag.

img

Rick_the_Librarian

Matt,

Your Krag has been sporterized. The barrel has been cut down, the handguard is gone and the front sight is not original. It should make a good shooter, though. During the 1920s, these rifles sold for as little as a couple of dollars and it is very common to see them in that condition.

Just for the record, here is a picture of my Krags in original condition and I think you'll see the difference. The one in the middle is a correct carbine and is not cut down.

img

Matt Evjen

Post by Matt Evjen »

Thanks for all the information. What is the average price for one of these today?

Rick_the_Librarian

If you mean in original condition, anywhere from $500 to $5000. An 1898, the most common rifle, will be in the $500-1000 range. It never hurts to look the 1898 in the picture (the bottom one) set me back only $285. It had some surface rust and needed a part or two replaced but after a little TLC, it is one of my nicest rifles.

Matt Evjen

Post by Matt Evjen »

How did you get rid of the surface rust? This one has some splotches on it along the barrel and chamber.

Rick_the_Librarian

I used a teflon pad and a copper (not steel) brush and some CLP and kerosene (for the small parts). It took some elbow grease but the result was a fine rifle.