KRAG?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
= =LURCH= =

KRAG?

Post by = =LURCH= = »

WELL I'M A NEW OWNER AND LOST. I HAVE A MODEL 1898 SER#139839 AN ADJUSTABLE REAR SIGHT AND NO OTHER MARKINGS ON THE BARREL OR THE STOCK. IT IS IN GOOD SHAPE,THE ACTION IS SMOOTH AND THE STOCK IN GOOD SHAPE.CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I HAVE. ???

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: KRAG?

Post by Ned Butts »

We will need more info than that to help you! What is the barrel length? Is the front sight braized into a "dovetail" in the barrel? Is the stock full length military(46" total and about 3 1/8" from the muzzle)? Is there a handguard over the barrel around the rear sight? Describe the "adjustable" rear sight! The serial # would indicate 1898 manufacture and a M'96 rear sight. (some one correct me here if I am wrong!) The pictures section on our home page will help you identify the type of rear sight. Start with this and someone here might be able to tell you more!!
Good Luck,
Ned

Hal_Beatty

Post by Hal_Beatty »

139839 doesn't show up in the SRS listings. But as Ned mentioned, some more info. will help.
Regards,
Hal Beatty

= =LURCH= =

Post by = =LURCH= = »

Thanks for the fast turn around gentlemen.The barrel length is 21 1/4",the stock from muzzle to butt plate is 33",no hand guard,muzzle to stock is 8 1/2".The front sight is sloped to the muzzle 3 1/4" in lenght and screwed to the barrel,the rear sight is screwed to the barrel 1" long with a adjustable upward slide giving approx.. a 1/8" up and down adjustment and a white center line indent in it.The left rear of the stock has a cheek rest thats part of the stock.Hope this helps,the website you directed me to is not working so I could not compare the rear sights as you wanted me to.
Thanks = =LURCH= =

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Well the good news is that you have a Krag. The bad news is that as is the case with many Krags over the years yours has been sporterized. Yours sounds like a well done job so I guess the news is not all bad, but sporterization does greatly diminish the collectors value. The upside is that Krags are, as a rule, verry good shooters and the action is as smooth as they get!! I can out shoot many more expensive factory sporters with my beat up old Krag sporter! So shoot it, hunt with it and enjoy it.
Ned