New member with a question

U.S. Military Krags
dfish724

New member with a question

Post by dfish724 »

First post and looking forward to learning about this rifle. The reason I joined is because my dad called me yesterday and said while he was moving some stuff around in the basement he came across a springfield 1898. I am going home this weekend and will be able to get pictures. I have no idea what kind of condition it might be in, so for the dust and cobwebs what gun oil, clp might work best? I have used ballistol and gunzilla on my byf 45 sniper.

David

Dick Hosmer

Re: New member with a question

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Let's see the pictures first, before we worry about potions and lotions.

Maybe a rub with an oily rag is all it needs! Just spraying all sorts of modern synthetic stuff on an old gun might not be the best idea.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'dfish724': Welcome to the KCA Forum. When you take your pictures, take close-ups at 3.2 to 5 megapixels in natural light. Maximum attachment size is 768 KB.

Take clear detailed pictures of muzzle/front-sight area, rear-sight, receiver markings and stock markings. Measure the barrel length from muzzle to 'closed' bolt face.

If you provide this information and sharp pictures, you will get better answers.

dfish724

Post by dfish724 »

I appreciate the comments. I will have pictures tomorrow.

dfish724

Post by dfish724 »

Pictures. I can take more. One thing I noticed there are no stock marks and the stock does not looked sanded. Image

dfish724

Post by dfish724 »

I have to post 1 at a time...Image

dfish724

Post by dfish724 »

I feel the need to apologize.Image

dfish724

Post by dfish724 »

Last one, unless someone wants some other pics.Image

dfish724

Post by dfish724 »

Barrel length is 24 in.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'dfish724': You have a U.S. Model 1898 Krag rifle, #465912, that was built at Springfield Armory around August, 1903. The barrel has been cut-down by someone for 'hunting' from 30 inches to 24 inches. The issue front sight has been remounted.

The rear sight is the model 1902 sight with the flip-up 'peep'. It has the correct hand-guard for this sight.

(If you wish to remove the hand-guard, remove the rear-sight, barrel-band and trigger-guard/screws, take the barreled/action out of the stock, and slide the hand-guard forward off the barrel. Hand-guards crack easily. Don't snap it on or off the barrel! Re-assemble in reverse order).

The barrel-band is on backwards. The "U" should be on the right hand side of the rifle and it will fit better, if you turn it around. Because it is cut-down, the collector value of your Krag is destroyed. It still has fun and play value, if the bore is good. Value is around $300, but, tough to sell. If it has a history of use in your family, it is precious to you.